When thinking of the most organic cities in USA, don't we all think of the west coast being the winner? According to at least one market research that might not be necessarily true after all. The top ten organic-eating cities in America listed below were found in a 2014 study conducted by Campbell Soup Company and Sperling’s Best Places, a rating and data-analyzing company. Can you guess what are the top 10 organic-eating cities that were found as a result of the survey?
Before I jump into the list itself, I wanted to refresh your memory on why eating organic is so important to many in this day and age.
The term eating “organic” is described by the USDA National Organic Program as, “food that is produced by farmers who emphasize the use of renewable resources and the conservation of soil and water to enhance environmental quality for future generations." Being one hundred percent organic means that the animals are grass fed and are not fed antibiotics or growth hormones. As for produce, the guidelines for fruits and vegetables consist of being grown with no pesticides and fertilizers used in the growth process. Studies show that eating organic has great health benefits. A study from the Environmental Health Perspectives journal, found that those who ate organic fruits and vegetables, compared to those who are from conventional crops, were more likely to have lower levels of pesticides found in their bodies. According to another study conducted in July 2014 by Gallup, 45% of Americans seems to seek out organic food, which is a record number. Surprisingly, also found in this study, people living in the city compared to those living in rural areas were more likely to eat organic. Overall, eating organic is rapidly growing around the country, and more people are changing their eating habits to live a more healthy lifestyle.
Listed below are the findings from the Campbell’s Soup Company and Sterling’s Best Places study:
10. Washington, D.C. - Even though Washington, D.C. isn't well known for organic food, the city made it into the list, and it is continuing to expand its organic community like never before.
9. Philadelphia, PA -The city of Brotherly Love, loves the organic farming communities that are found throughout their land.
8. Austin, TX - Being a heavily populated college area, Austin became favored for its "Keep Austin weird" campaign, which it is all in favor of keeping the culture of organic food and arts in the city.
7. Seattle, WA - Although the GMO labeling legislation wasn't passed in Washington, it didn't stop the city from remaining an organic haven.
6. Boston, MA - Boston has become an hotbed of organic farming in recent years, and this ranking proves it.
5. Minneapolis, MN - With a city with high rates in education, Minneapolis ranks in at number #5 also thanks to the many organic options available throughout the city.
4. Sacramento, CA - Being one of the highest organic states in America, Sacramento is known for its popular organic-rich culture.
3. Providence, RI - Although the relatively small size of this city, the people who live there have a huge growing appetite for eating organic.
2. San Francisco, CA - Housing some of the world's top chefs and also the best quality seafood, this city is on top for being one of the first to "go organic" among the states.
1. Portland, OR - This state has a passion for organic food. Also, Portland was close to passing the GMO labeling legislation, with their popular phrase, "Oregon's right to know."
ARE YOU FOOD SMART ?
The author of this post, Rashidah is a 2014 Cornell graduate in Media Communication who has a strong interest in food ethics and always strive to integrate healthier practices in her life. She is a mentor at Unlocking Futures where she helps transforming the lives of disadvantaged youth.